Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Supergirl TV show

I had a chance to watch the debut of the new 'Supergirl' show in CBS and have o say, I'm not sure where they are going with the show. I know that Hollywood wants to create a female-centric superhero TV show, since there hasn't been one since 'Wonder Woman' in the late '70s. There have been a few tries to reboot 'Wonder Woman' with no success. Yes, the was 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer,' but she wasn't originally a comic book based hero, but actually more of a spoof of the whole superhero genre. Many feminist seemed to be pleased, since Kara Zor-El can go toe-to-toe with the baddies, since she also has the same powers as her more famous cousin. But does she really need to do that. They place her in the office of a Daily Planet type newspaper, but with a predictable twist. Her boss is female (surprise), totally self absorbed (really surprised), and ridiculously over the top with unrealistic demands. Essentially, a female J. Jonah Jameson. Jameson, comes across as a typical blowhard boss, but Kara's boss seems to be a cheap rip off of Anna Wintour, without the cool British accent and charm.

One has to wonder, will the audience accept or tolerate the weekly beating shew will take as she brings in this weeks baddie? The Producers of the show seem to think so, but will the audience after 20 weeks of it? I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment